Wednesday, January 2, 2013

It isn't a dream! It is real!

When I got in my car that morning to drive to the chiropractor, the first thing I did was call the fertility clinic to tell them I got a positive test.  The nurse congratulated me and emailed me lab orders to get my HCG blood test done to confirm and let them know the level of the hormone. As soon as I finished my morning job I drove straight to my doctors office to do the lab work. I was hoping I would get somewhat instant gratification and that they would be able to tell me my numbers that day. Unfortunately, for my patience, my doctor ships all their blood work to a lab in Kansas City, so I would have to wait until the next day. The fertility clinic called me first thing the next morning to let me know my HCG level was at 15, and that anything above 5 was a confirmed pregnancy. I was sent more lab orders to go back 2 days later to do the test again to make sure the number was doubling properly. I didn't really know much about HCG and how it worked or what exactly the numbers meant "medically". I did as ordered, and again the day after I did the lab the nurse called to tell me they had gone up to 45. Yay! They doubled, well more than doubled, but I was worried the number was low. Being the curious person I am, and with the convenience of Google, I read up on HCG, and normal levels at different times of pregnancy. I fell in the normal category, so I felt at ease. Plus, both of those tests were done before my period was even due, so I was kind of at an advantage being able to know I was pregnant that soon. Besides, if there was something wrong, surely the nurse would take action and let me know. My next lab work was scheduled for a week out. So that following Thursday, I went in again for more blood to be drawn. I felt like I was going to be sucked dry at the rate I was going. I waited patiently for the call on Friday but never got it. I was a little irked, and cursed the fact that my doctor just had to send the blood work to KC because it would be totally inconvenient to work with a lab in Wichita. Ugh! So on Monday, I finally got the call! My numbers were up to 1504! Holy crap! Good jump! I was expecting her to tell me that I had to go back again in a week to check them again, but instead she scheduled my first ultrasound! I was totally excited that I would get to see my little bean for the first time, and I would be able to see it's heartbeat on the monitor as well. Proof, visual proof! I was creating a life inside me and it was the most indescribable feeling I have ever experienced in my life. I knew it would be the second longest 2 week wait of my life.

Through out this whole period of blood work and more blood work. I spent my off time dreaming about what my baby would look like. Boy or Girl? I want a girl, because they are fun to dress and you can polish their miniature toes. But I would be happy with either. Beggars can't be choosers after all, right? I was excited, for the first time in my life, about getting fat! I couldn't wait to look pregnant. It's something I had always dreamed about. I hoped I would have a cute baby belly, instead of blowing up like a blimp. I dreamed about the entire experience. Watching the baby grow, feeling it move for the first time, hearing it's heartbeat, doing the sweet 4-d ultrasound, decorating the nursery, and just everything that comes with having a baby. It was all so surreal, but soon, very soon, I would get to see what was really going on in my body. I talked with my mom and sister one night. They both talked about their experiences being pregnant, and how neither one of them ever got sick. They both started showing early. My sister said she started showing decently well at 8 weeks. 8 weeks?!? That was 2 weeks away for me...it really might happen fast. She showed me pictures of her first ultrasound. She was 7 weeks and 2 days along, and my little nugget was even adorable then! I was going to be 7 weeks and 1 day at my ultrasound, so I was excited thinking my bean would look that good on the screen too!

In the coming days, we celebrated Christmas, which was exciting for me because it meant I was only 3 days away from my ultrasound appointment. This pregnancy was already the best gift I could have ever received. The ultrasound would just be the icing on the cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment